Srinagar, the capital of Kashmir as a population of half a
million .it is called the valley of the holly scents (pirwari)
mosques, temples, churches & Sufi scents passing through mughal
gardens, forts leads you to thousand years of history.
Another distantive feature of Kashmir is its mugal
gardend.These are the historic gardens made by the mughals
for their luxsury and confort.
Built by emperor jehangir for his wife nure jehan, Shalimar,
is a beautiful garden with sweeping vistas over lawns &
lakes, and shallows terraces. The garden is 539mx182m and
has four terraces.rising one above the other. A canal lined
with polished stones & supplied with water from Harwan runs
through the middle of the garden. The fourth terrace, by far
the best, was once reserved for royal ladies.
Situated on the banks of the Dal lake, with the Zabarwan
mountains as its backdrop, this ‘ garden of bliss’ commands
a magnificent view of the lake and snow capped pir panjal
mountain range which stands for away to the to the west of
the valley. Nishat was designed in 1633 AD by Asaf Khan,
brother of Nur jehan.
At Chesma shahi, is a tastefully laid garden in terraces,
which commands a magnificent view of the Dal Lake below and
surrounding mountain ranges. The cool water of the spring is
highly refreshing and digestive. The original garden was
laid out by Shah jehan in 1632 AD.
Located in srinagar,Harwan is a huge garden with a beautiful
canal passing through its heart. Linked with flowerbeds and
massive chinar Trees, the canal is fed from a beautiful
lake, which lies just behind the garden. Purposefully kept
devoid of fanciful things and artificial fountains, the
abundant natural beauty of the place complete with vast big
green –carpeted lawns, makes it an ideal spot for picnics
and excursions. Besides the delightful long walks in the
garden itself, it is also take off point for visiting
wildlife sanctuary of Dachi Gam and a starting point of
trecking up to Mahadev mountain.
Once the royal observatory, pari mahal has a charmingly laid
out garden and is a five-minutes drive from cheshma shahi. A
Buddhist monastery at one time, it was converted into a
school of astrology by Dara shikoh, mughal emperor shah
jehan’s eldest son. Situated on the spur of mountain over
looking the Dal, the ancient monument, with a well-laid
spacious garden in front, is connected to cheshma shahi by
road. It is illuminated at night.